To go along with my info-graphic on coconut oil from last week, I decided to compile a list of 12 awesome and amazing ways to get more coconut oil, and its amazing health benefits, into and onto your body. Let me know in the comments what your favorites are and any ideas YOU have to share! Enjoy!
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- A little imagination
There are lots a ways to use coconut oil externally. It is a healthy, non-toxic moisturizer, something that many drug store products cannot claim. Many commercial lotions use water and petroleum products. When the water drys your skin is till left parched and those petroleum products clog your pores.
Did you know your skin is your largest organ? What you put on it is as important as what you put in your mouth!
2. This skin polish adds custom essential oils to the mix. Of course you can make it plain too, but the smell of lavender and other oils is really delicious. Kudos to Camp Wander for the recipe! I am a big fan of skin polish and use something similar as part of my face routine.
3. Also from Camp Wander is a great tutorial for doing an oil cleanse. In short, oil ( coconut and olive) is used in lieu of soap or cleaners to clean your face. Coconut oil is anti microbial and helps pull toxins from your pores. Again, you can customize the mixture with essential oils to meet your skin’s needs.
4. The Wellness Mama shares a great recipe I never thought of, homemade deodorant. In case you didn’t know the aluminium, an active ingredient in most deodorant, is highly toxic. Switching to natural or homemade deodorant will cut a lot of harmful toxins from your routine in a hurry. Think, daily usage on open pores for years and year… Also a lot cheaper!
5. Moms you are going to want to write this down. Coconut oil can also be used in conjunction with apple cider vinegar to get rid of lice! Check out the tutorial here. This is reportedly more effective than traditional treatments.
6. The last on my short list of ways to use coconut oil on your body is in your hair. No recipe needed, just rub a small amount of the solid oil between your palms to warm it up and melt it. I usually run my hands over the ends of my hair pre-shower. Shampoo tends to damage hair so this protects my ends while I am in the shower. If you hair is extra dry, you can do this before and after a shower.
You can learn all about the health benefits of coconut oil in this handy infograph I made. Long story short, it’s really good for you :)
7. Need a little pep in your step in the mornings? Try a version of bulletproof coffee, made with coconut oil. If you don’t know the story behind bullet proof coffee, you can learn more here. Even if you are not a “paleo” person, I am certainly not, because I do not believe grains are bad for people, in general, you will probably find this recipe pretty tasty.
All you need to do is take 1 cup of coffee, and 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil and blend it in a blender. I promise it doesn’t come out oily or greasy, but creamy, almost like a latte.
8. Smoothies! I don’t know about you guys but I am in love with smoothies. It’s such a fast and easy way to get in a super healthy meal. Super delicious to boot, you can mix up so many flavors. I will leave my smoothie tips for another post, but a couple rounded tablespoons of coconut oil, just like the coffee mentioned above, adds tons of creaminess to your smoothie!
9. Frying! Coconut oil is safe for frying foods, because the smoke point is very high. And unlike other oils the oil does not begin to break down or lose any health benefits when heated to a high temperature.
11. Grease your pan with it. Instead of using cooking spray or Crisco I take a little coconut oil on a paper towel, and rub it into pans, back sheets and muffin tins. Works like a charm, and it’s one less bottle I need in my cupboard.
12. I use coconut oil is just about everything I bake. It does take an extra step to melt the coconut oil before I measure it but I think it’s 100% worth it. And while I love the taste of coconut, I can never detect it in my finished breads or baked goods. You will find coconut oil in lots of my bread recipes.
Thank you for reading today! I hope you enjoyed this list with 12 great ideas to use more coconut oil at home. If you found today’s post interesting and helpful, and know someone who could benefit from step by step videos on baking with whole grains, please share this with them today!
Photo Credits Fruit Lush Via Flickr